A History of High Standards
The Mavco story began nearly a century ago, when Girard Aloysius Mavon founded G.A. Mavon & Co. in 1916. Previously, he had earned a reputation as a determined businessman, traveling door-to-door by bicycle, selling insurance to the locals as a field man for the Dubuque Fire and Marine Company.
Once Mr. Mavon established his own managing general agency, he was able to open an office on South Halsted Street in Chicago and eventually moved to the Insurance Exchange Building in downtown Chicago, where it remained for 50 years.
In 1979, G.A. Mavon & Co. moved into its own distinctive building at 10 W. Chicago Ave. in Hinsdale.
Throughout its deep-rooted history, Mavon & Co. has served as both a managing general agency and a general agency for many prominent insurance companies. Gamco Premium Finance Co. opened in 1967 in order to serve Mavon agents and brokers with in-house financing. And in 1972, Mavco Insurance Agency opened its doors as an independent agency for direct insurance sales to the buying public.
Four generations have actively controlled company operations throughout the history of the organization. Phil G. Mavon joined the business in 1934 and remained as the chairman of the company until his death in 1987. P.G. “Jerry” Mavon, Jr. joined the company in 1966 and currently serves as chairman of the three companies. Phil G. Mavon III joined the company in 1991 and currently serves as president of G.A. Mavon & Co.
The entire Mavco team is employed by the parent company, G.A. Mavon & Co., and many have provided services for the affiliated companies of Gamco and Mavco.