A Long History with Deep Roots in the Community
The Mavco story began over a century ago, when Girard Aloysius Mavon founded G.A. Mavon & Co. in 1916. Before this, he enjoyed a well-earned a reputation as a determined businessman, traveling door-to-door by bicycle, selling insurance to the locals as a field man for the Dubuque Fire and Marine Company.
Once Mr. Mavon established his own managing general agency, he opened an office on South Halsted Street in Chicago and eventually moved to the Insurance Exchange Building in downtown Chicago, where the agency remained for 50 years. In 1979, G.A. Mavon & Co. moved into its own distinctive building at 10 W. Chicago Avenue in Hinsdale.
Throughout its extensive history, Mavon & Co. has served as both a managing general agency and a general agency for many prominent insurance companies. Gamco Premium Finance Co. opened in 1967 to serve Mavon agents and brokers with in-house financing. And in 1972, Mavco Insurance Agency opened its doors as an independent agency for direct insurance sales to the buying public.
Mavco Generations — It’s More than a Concept
Four generations have actively controlled company operations throughout the history of the organization. Phil G. Mavon joined the business in 1934 and remained as the chairman of the company until his death in 1987. P.G. “Jerry” Mavon, Jr. joined the company in 1966 and currently serves as chairman of the three companies. Phil G. Mavon III joined the company in 1991 and currently serves as president of Mavco and its related companies.